Make soft and fluffy loaves with this easy to make homemade cream bread recipe.
Using rich whipping cream and hearty oats in the bread creates a creamy texture perfect for soft sandwich fillings and more.
Simple but Tasty
Like most homemade breads, these loaves are full of the simplest ingredients that combine into something quite magical.
The oats mostly disappear in the bread, leaving only a smooth texture without any hint of graininess.
Don’t have whipping cream? Use half and half instead. Do go for richer, creamier milk here. While whole or even skim milk will turn out bread the loaves will be quite different in texture.
This is the kind of bread that many of us think of as comfort food. It’s soft and creamy and perfect for simple sandwiches.
Do use it for a simple snack, slathered in butter. Serve it alongside soup for dipping. Spread it with peanut butter and jelly for packed lunches.
It does toast up beautifully for grilled cheese sandwiches and plain old toast, too.
Difficulty Level: Beginner
This is a perfect recipe for beginners. There are no fussy ingredients or special techniques – just a simple combination of simple staples and basic kneading of dough is needed.
For longer term storage, wrapped the cooled loaf in plastic wrap and freeze. Or slice and place the slices into a freezer bag and freeze.
Use up frozen bread within 6 months for best flavor. Let frozen bread thaw on the counter prior to serving.
Try These Other Soft Breads
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Tablespoon Dry, Active Yeast
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 Cup Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 4 Cups Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yeast, oats, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream and water until it reaches approximately 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour the cream mixture over the yeast mixture. Give it a light stir. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the salt and 3 cups of the flour. Mix well. Continue adding more flour as necessary to form a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead until soft and elastic.
- Put the dough into an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a tea towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Grease 2 loaf pans.
- Punch down the dough and knead slightly. Divide in half.
- Knead and form into loaves. Place dough into prepared loaf pans.
- Cover loaf pans with towel and let rise about 30 minutes or until the dough begins to rise above pan edges.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the loaves in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until crust is golden and loaves sound hollow when tapped with a knuckle.
- Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 28 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
I try but cannot guarantee this nutritional information is 100% accurate.