Use up the ever abundant summer squash in this savory zucchini cornbread made extra flavorful with the addition of hot peppers and cheese.
Moist with a crunchy texture zucchini cheddar cornbread is the perfect side dish for summer barbecues, potlucks, and more.
Varying Levels of Heat
The original recipe definitely has a bit of heat and spice. However, it is super easy to switch up based on individual tastes and tolerance levels for heat.
Want it hotter?
Choose hotter peppers and leave the seeds and veins in the hot peppers when dicing. Add some dried, ground cayenne or other hot pepper with the flour.
Want is milder?
Choose milder hot peppers, jalapenos for example and leave the seeds out. Skip the hot peppers all together and just use sweet, bell peppers instead.
Any Summer Squash
Use any summer squash you have on hand in this cornbread. Regular old zucchini works perfectly but so would yellow squash and a patty pan squash.
Substitution Ideas : Other Veggies
Grated carrots or even grated radishes would work equally well in this cornbread. Skip the salting and draining step for the root vegetables and proceed with the recipe as written.
A good, sharp cheddar works perfectly in this recipe. However, it is not the only choice. Mozzarella or provolone will work equally well. Use a good pepper jack for even more peppery flavor. In the end, just use what your family likes best.
Zucchini cornbread is a great side dish for summer meals. Eat it alongside big salads, barbecued meats, and more. Tuck it inside lunch boxes. It’s even delicious alongside eggs for breakfast.
Zucchini Cornbread with Hot Peppers & Cheese
A great way to use up abundant summer squash, zucchini cornbread with hot peppers and cheese is a savory quick bread perfect as a side dish.
- 2 Cups Grated Zucchini, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup Butter, melted
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Finely Minced Hot Peppers
- 1 Cup Grated Cheddar
- Put the grated zucchini in a fine mesh strainer and mix in salt. Let sit, over a bowl or in the sink, and drain for about 10 minutes.
- Squeeze out water with the back of a spoon.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, and baking powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and melted butter until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until almost incorporated.
- Fold in the squeezed zucchini, hot peppers, and grated cheese. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack. Serve hot or at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 262mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
I try but cannot guarantee this nutritional information is 100% accurate.
Leave a Reply