Fluffy dinner rolls are always welcome at any meal. And it seems no matter what else is served the homemade dinner rolls are the things people remember and talk about the most.
These yogurt dinner rolls are easy to make, golden brown on the outside, fluffy on the inside and oh-so-perfect alongside most any meal.
Basic but Awesome
There is nothing fancy about these rolls. The ingredients are basic and simple And yet the rolls themselves are amazing and unforgettable. This is a recipe you will use again and again.
There is just a bit of yogurt in the actual dough but it helps add lightness, moistness, and flavor to the final product. Use plain, unsweetened yogurt and regular (not Greek or some other thick style) here.
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
The dough itself is super basic. The only thing that brings these rolls from beginner to intermediate level is the shaping of the rolls. These would be a perfect recipe for someone comfortable with making bread and wanting to try something different.
After the rolls have risen the first time, you will punch down the dough like most bread recipes.
Weigh the dough on a food scale. Divide the weight by 12. Then cut the dough into 12 pieces. Weigh each piece so that they are exactly or very close to the same weight.
This will ensure even baking and general sizing of your finished rolls.
Once the dough is divided, simply shape into round or oval shapes with your fingers, kneading slightly and folding edges and seams to the bottom.
It doesn’t have to be perfect. Like anything practice helps get the rolls into better shape.
Want more but smaller rolls? Simply divide the dough into smaller pieces and proceed.
These rolls will stay fresh for a day or two if kept in a sealed container at room temperature. Feel free to make them the day before a big feast for ease.
Yogurt Dinner Rolls
Fluffy yeast dinner rolls are perfect to serve at large feast tables and simple soup meals alike.
- 1 Tablespoon Dry, Active Yeast
- 1 Cup Warm Water
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Plain Yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 3 1/2 Cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Combine the warm water, yeast, and sugar in a bowl. Let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- To the yeast mixture, whisk in the eggs and yogurt. Mix well.
- Add 2 Cups of flour and the salt and stir.
- Continue adding flour and mixing until a dough begins to pull together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead until the dough is soft, elastic, and bit glossy.
- Lightly grease a large bowl, and turn the dough inside to coat it with the oil. Cover the bowl with a towel.
- Let dough rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Grease a cookie sheet.
- Punch the dough down and turn out onto a floured board. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
- Shape the dough into rolls and place onto prepared cookie sheet leaving about 2 inches between.
- Cover the rolls with a towel.
- Let dough rise until doubled, 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the risen rolls in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes. The baked rolls will have risen more in the oven and turned golden brown. They will sound hollow when tapped with a knuckle when baked.
- Remove from the cookie sheet and cool on wire racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 282mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
I try but cannot guarantee this nutritional information is 100% accurate.
Want to try another yogurt recipe? Give my Yogurt Bran Muffins a try for a healthy & hearty breakfast on-the-go.
Leave a Reply