Bake up a bit of summer flavor with this raspberry scone recipe!
The addition of cooked rice makes these raspberry scones a little more nutrient dense while also staying crunchy on the outside and a bit moist on the inside.
Would I make a pot of rice just to make these scones? Probably not. I would however, make extra rice with dinner tonight so that I could bake the scones tomorrow.
The rice does give the scone a slightly different texture than the more traditional dry scones. This is not at all a bad thing but might not be the best recipe for someone who is extremely particular about their scones.
Use a plant based margarine instead of butter and a plant based milk instead of cow’s milk. A dairy-free chocolate chip can easily complete the scones.
Try Different Berries
The recipe would likely be just as amazing with any berry you have on hand. Keep small berries whole, chop larger berries like strawberries.
These are sweet enough on their own in my opinion but there are options to change them up.
Sprinkle a bit of coarse sugar over the top prior to baking for extra sweetness and crunch.
Drizzle the cooled scones with a bit of a powdered sugar glaze, if desired.
- 2 1/2 Cups Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Cooked Rice
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Cold Salted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1 Cup Raspberries
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and maple syrup. Set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, rice, and baking powder.
- Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender, a fork, two knives. Do this until the butter is completely mixed in.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry and stir just to get things mixed a little.
- Fold in the raspberries and chocolate chips until everything is completely incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and very lightly knead. Pat the dough into a large circle about 10 inches in diameter.
- Cut the dough into triangles and put the triangles onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from the sheet and cool completely on wire racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 520Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 77gFiber: 4gSugar: 17gProtein: 9g
I try but cannot guarantee this nutritional information is 100% accurate.