Malted Chocolate muffins are an indulgent breakfast treat perfect for holidays, office meetings, and more.
Almost cupcake like in their decadence, these chocolate rye muffins have a bit of whole grain for nutrition and we can remind ourselves that chocolate is a superfood.
These dark chocolate muffins get their flavor and color from two different kinds of cocoa powder: black & regular.
The black cocoa powder is a super black color making the muffins very dark. If you can’t easily find black cocoa powder just use whatever cocoa powder you have in your pantry.
I used semi-sweet chocolate chips in the batter but feel free to use dark or milk chocolate, if desired. Even white chocolate chips would work for flavor and a color contrast.
The recipe calls for medium rye flour. Use a light or dark rye if desired. If rye simply isn’t your thing, skip it and add more all purpose flour instead.
There are already chocolate chips in the batter though those could be skipped if desired. Other ideas to bulk up the muffins include adding:
- 1 Cup chopped nuts
- 1 Cup dried fruit, like raisins or cranberries
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
In order to keep these muffins from firmly crossing over into dessert territory, I avoided adding any glaze or frosting. However, if you want to add some, here are a few ideas:
- drizzle some melted chocolate over the tops
- sprinkle some coarse sugar on top before baking
- a chocolate or vanilla glaze could easily be poured on top
How to Freeze
Thaw as needed, use up within 6 months for best flavor (and before freezer burn).
The baked muffins freeze beautifully. Simply place the baked muffins into an airtight bag or container.
Other Chocolate Recipes You Might Like
- 1/2Cup Medium Rye Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Bread Flour
- 1/4 Cup Black Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 Cup Malted Milk Powder
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Cup Salted Butter, melted
- 1 1/4 Cups Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease muffin tins or line with paper cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa powders, malted milk powder, baking power, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until almost incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix batter thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into prepared muffin pan, filling cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan to cool completely on wire racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 Muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 162mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 5g
I try but cannot guarantee this nutritional information is 100% accurate.