Use up leftover ham by baking bits of it right inside this ham bread recipe.
This whole wheat, savory loaf is perfect for having with soup or salad. It also makes for delicious cheese and vegetable sandwiches.
Basic but Inspired
The best breads are almost always the most basic. There’s nothing fancy here, it’s simply a combination of intensely flavored ingredients that work well together.
This is a pretty simple whole wheat bread only the bits of ham make it different and more special.
Feel free to substitute the whole wheat flour as desired. Use 100% all-purpose flour or use another whole grain like rye instead.
Use Good Ingredients
Make sure to use good, fresh ingredients here. Look for a good, fresh whole wheat flour whenever possible. Whole wheat flour goes stale and/or spoils much faster than all-purpose.
This is the place for good quality ham. Don’t use the stuff from the over-processed stuff from the deli. Use leftover bits from holiday feasts.
How to Serve
Use ham bread as an amazing side dish for homemade soups. Serve alongside big, green salads to make them a hearty meal.
Do use it as a base for scrambled eggs at breakfast. Make a simple sandwich with cheese and vegetables for a packed lunch.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dry, Active Yeast
- 1 Cup Warm Water
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 ounces Cooked Ham, Diced - just shy of 1 Cup
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yeast, sugar, and water. Let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the whole wheat flour and salt. Mix well.
- Stir in 1 cup of all purpose flour and ham. Mix well.
- Gradually, add more all purpose flour and mix until a dough forms.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead until soft, elastic, and slightly glossy.
- Grease a bowl, and turn the dough around inside the bowl to coat.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and allow to rise until doubled. Approximately 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and turn out onto a floured board. Knead and shape into a loaf.
- Grease a bread pan and put the dough inside the pan.
- Cover the pan with with a towel and allow to rise until doubled. About 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the loaf in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until browned and done. It will sound hollow when tapped with a knuckle.
- Remove from the pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g
I try but cannot guarantee this nutritional information is 100% accurate.