Sweet and indulgent chocolate chip yeast bread is an incredible way to up your breakfast toast game.
Chocolate chip bread recipes are often quick loaves, more like cake than actual bread. This vanilla yeast recipe gives you a rich, sweet loaf full of chocolate and comforting flavor.
Warm, Rich Dessert-Like
There is a healthy dose of both chocolate chips and vanilla extract in this bread to give it a warm and rich flavor.
The graham flour provides just a bit of whole grain texture and flavor that doesn’t at all give this a whole grain, health bread feel.
This is not a sandwich bread. Chocolate chip bread should take the place of croissants or other sweet bread at the brunch table.
Options & Changes
The recipe was inspired by the Chocolate Loves Vanilla Bread Recipe in King Arthur Flour’s Whole Grain Baking Book.
I changed a couple of things and simplified a few of their steps.
Some options you too could try:
Skip the graham flour and use 100% bread or all-purpose flour instead.
Try chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips.
I used semi-sweet chocolate chips but I can’t see why milk or even white chocolate wouldn’t work.
The glaze is optional but it does add a lovely color and crunch to the final bread.
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
The whole grain, shaping, and long list of steps make this a slightly better loaf for a baker with some experience. It’s not a terribly hard recipe but might feel a bit overwhelming to a complete novice.
How to Toast Chocolate Chip Bread
Don’t put slices of this in the toaster. The chocolate chips will melt and cause a mess.
Instead place slices on a parchment lined baking sheet and broil a few minutes on each side. Likely about 5 minutes, but check for your preferred level of darkness.
Alternatively, toast on a pan in a toaster oven.
It is marvelous toasted and slathered in butter. There’s no reason to get extra fancy. Some nut butter or a berry jam would be lovely as well.
Do let it cool about 30 minutes before slicing, but serving it still warm with the chocolate chips still soft is delightful.
I have not french toasted it yet, but I do think it would be lovely.
Should you let it get a bit stale, this is an ideal loaf for bread pudding.
More Chocolate Breads
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Dry, Active Yeast
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Instant Espresso Powder
- 2 Cups Bread Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Graham Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Chocolate Chips
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons Water
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter and milk just until melted. Stir in the brown sugar until dissolved. Let cool to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine the water and yeast. Let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the milk mixture into the yeast, add the 1 1/2 cups of graham flour and stir well.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, espresso powder, and salt.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Continue to add more bread flour until a soft dough begins to form.
- Turn out to a floured board and knead until smooth, soft, and elastic.
- Place into an oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover the bowel with a towel and let rise until almost doubled, about an hour.
- Grease a 9" round springform pan or casserole dish.
- Punch down the down and knead slightly.
- Form the dough into a round loaf shape and place into oiled baking dish.
- Cover the pan with a towel and let rise about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the topping, by combining everything together until a smooth liquid.
- Brush the top of the dough with the glaze using a pastry brush. Use a light hand to avoid deflating the dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped with a knuckle.
- Remove from the pan immediately and cool on wire racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 214Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 191mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 5g
I try but cannot guarantee this nutritional information is 100% accurate.