Give yourself a sweet and crunchy whole grain treat with slices of this whole wheat pumpkin bread.
Pumpkin nut bread is easy to pull together and is perfect for fall or anytime a whole grain, sweet but slightly healthy treat is needed.
Whole Grain Texture
The whole wheat flour in this quick bread definitely provides a grainy, toothy texture and flavor to the final loaf.
This is not the delicate cake-like texture of most quick breads.
The moisture from the pumpkin prevents it from becoming overly dry but the whole wheat texture is unmistakable here.
If serving this to someone who might balk at the whole wheat, feel free to use 100% all-purpose flour instead. The final loaf will be different but still delicious.
I used walnuts simply because that’s what I had on hand. Pecans or even almonds would also be delicious.
Do chop larger walnut halves, but if you’re using broken pieces don’t worry about it much. The nuts will slice as you serve it so it’s unlikely anyone would get too large of a piece.
Obviously, feel free to skip the nuts if allergic or simply don’t like.
Any Winter Squash
Canned pumpkin puree works perfectly in this recipe. But so will most any other winter squash.
If you have leftover butternut or acorn squash – feel free to use the cooked and mashed puree. If the winter squash seems a bit thin, simply strain it through a cheesecloth lined mesh sieve until quite thick and proceed with the recipe.
Other Possible Additions
Feel free to mix in up to 1 cup of chocolate chips or dried fruits to give the bread even more texture and flavor.
Make it extra sweet but pouring a vanilla glaze over the cooled loaf.
If you happen to have a bunch of winter squash you want to use up, make several loaves and freeze extras.
Simply place cooked and cooled loaves into airtight bags and freeze.
Alternatively, slice the bread and freeze slices in airtight bags. Freezing slices allows you to just grab what you need instead of an entire loaf at one time.
Use up within 6 months for best flavor and to prevent freezer burn.
Other Pumpkin Bread Recipes
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 3/4 Cup Walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a loaf pan.
- Whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugars, until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the butter mixture and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Stir the pumpkin mixture until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until almost combined.
- Fold in the nuts and stir until completely combined.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes in preheated oven, or until inserted tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan to cool completely on wire racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 4g
I try but cannot guarantee this nutritional information is 100% accurate.