Sour cherry muffins are the perfect combination of sweet and tart to start off your day.
These delicate muffins have the added crunch and decadence of some chocolate chunks to make them even better.
These muffins start with fresh sour / tart cherries. You’ll need a full cup after they’ve been pitted. Because I buy large quantities of cherries, I use a pitter but if you’re just doing one cup you can likely do it by using a straw and just pushing the pit through the cherry.
Cutting the cherries in half after they’ve been pitted makes sure no pits get missed. Feel free to roughly chop instead of halving, if desired.
Don’t have fresh sour cherries? Use canned or frozen cherries but make sure to get them well drained first. The extra liquid might cause issues in the batter.
Sweet Cherries Instead
Sour cherries can sometimes be hard to find in certain areas. If this is the case for you, substitute sweet cherries.
Sweet cherries are also more widely preferred, so feel free to use them if that is your family.
The flavor will be different without the tart notes but still delicious.
I used dark chocolate chunks in the recipe. However, chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips even would work. Use any type of chocolate you favor – dark, milk, semi-sweet, white, etc. There’s no way to mess it up.
Skip the chocolate entirely if desired. You’ll likely get less muffins but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
Other Optional Additions
Feel free to add up to ½ cup of chopped nuts or slivered almonds to the batter. Almonds and cherries are a great combination after all.
How to Serve
This is a simple grab and go breakfast if you want it. Pair it with a protein shake for a filling boost.
Serve it as part of a brunch with fruit, eggs, and bacon.
Freeze Extra Muffins
Thaw as needed, use up within 6 months for best flavor (and before freezer burn).
The baked muffins freeze beautifully. Simply place the baked muffins into an airtight bag or container.
- 1 1/2 Cups Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Salted Butter, melted
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Sour Cherries, pitted & halved
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chunks, Optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg, and milk until completely combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until almost combined.
- Fold in the cherries and chocolate chunks, mixing until completely combined.
- Divide the batter amongst 10 muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire racks completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 176mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g
I try but cannot guarantee this nutritional information is 100% accurate.