Naturally delicious with a hearty texture and nutty flavor, honey graham bread is perfect for toast, simple sandwiches, and more.
Slightly dense and chewy this whole grain bread is perfect for snacking.
Simple & Flavorful
This is an incredibly simple bread of just a few ingredients. The flavor truly comes from the honey and graham flour.
Graham flour does indeed have a nutty and sweet flavor much like the Graham crackers so many of us enjoy and it permeates these loaves.
Specialty Ingredients : Graham Flour
Graham flour is whole wheat flour that is more coarsely ground than most typical whole wheat flours and is not sifted. Health food stores generally carry it and larger grocery stores will likely have it from the folks at Bob’s Red Mill.
I tested this recipe with both all-purpose and bread flours. The far superior loaf came from using bread flour. This is not a place to substitute, use bread flour.
Level of Sweetness
The recipe includes 1/3 cup of honey, which is sweet but not overly so. One could easily use it for savory sandwiches.
However, add more or less honey as desired.
Maple syrup could be sweetened for the honey to keep the loaves vegan.
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
While the overall ingredients and technique for these loaves are simple, working with whole grain takes just a bit of practice for well formed loaves. This would be a great start for someone who’s comfortable for kneading and baking basic bread.
- 1 Tablespoon Dry, Active Yeast
- 2 Cups Warm Water
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 2 Cups Graham Flour
- 3 Cups Bread Flour
- In a large bowl, combine warm water, honey, and yeast. Stir lightly. Let sit until yeast is foamy about 10 minutes.
- Add the graham flour and salt, mix well. Add 2 cups of bread flour and mix well, until a dough begins to form. If necessary, add a bit more bread flour.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead until soft and elastic.
- Grease a bowl lightly and turn the dough inside to coat it. Cover the bowl with a towel.
- Let rise until doubled about 45-60 minutes.
- Punch down the down and split in half. Knead the dough slightly and form loaves.
- Place loaves into 2 greased bread 8x4" bread pans.
- Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When the loaves have risen, bake them in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes. They bread will be golden brown and sound hollow when tapped with a knuckle.
- Remove from pans immediately to cool on wire racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g
I try but cannot guarantee this nutritional information is 100% accurate.