Get your morning off to a whole-grain start with this healthy pumpkin muffin recipe.
This easy and tasty recipe is naturally sweetened, includes whole grain, and avoids butter or oil for healthy pumpkin oatmeal muffin that is sure to keep your tummy full all morning long.
What is Healthy?
A healthy recipe is a rather nebulous thing. What is healthy to one person might not be to another.
But for this recipe, I defined healthy as without refined sugar, includes whole grain, and avoids unnecessary levels of fat.
Must also be Tasty
There’s no point in healthy meaning tasteless or lacking appeal. This recipe includes plenty of flavorful ingredients for a delicious breakfast bread that will also fuel busy days.
Whole Grain Fiber
There is wheat bran and oats in the muffin to provide a natural source of fiber in a delicious handheld package.
The grains also add texture and a bit of crunch.
Importance of Applesauce
Applesauce works as a fat replacement in these muffins. It also adds more moistness and a naturally sweet hit of flavor.
Make sure to use unsweetened applesauce here.
You could use a spiced applesauce if desired, for extra flavor in the overall muffin.
How to Freeze Extras
The baked muffins freeze beautifully. Feel free to make a double batch to have some on hand for eating later.
Simply place the baked muffins into an airtight bag or container. Thaw as needed, use up within 6 months for best flavor (and before freezer burn).
- 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Pureed Pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Wheat Bran
- 2/3 Cup Rolled Oats
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, wheat bran, flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the applesauce, maple syrup, eggs, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract. Mix until completely smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until everything is incorporated.
- Divide the batter equally among 12 muffins cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 22 minutes or until an inserted tester comes out clean.
- Cool pan on wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove muffins from pan to cool completely on the racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g
I try but cannot guarantee this nutritional information is 100% accurate.